Congratulations your baby is now entering a new milestone in his life and that is TEETHING. Every parent is so much excited about their baby tiny little teeth.
Teething is a process in which your baby teeth start to come out from their gums.
In this post iam going to give you all the information regarding the baby teething process.
- When will teething start?
- How long will this process take to complete?
- What signs will the baby show?
- From which order will the teeth start?
The first teeth of a baby are called milk teeth, primary teeth, or baby teeth. Teething is a very painful process in babies. Every tooth comes out with so much effort that babies get irritated, frustrated, angry, crying, etc. These are just the temporary teeth and they fall again when the baby is 6 years old and start again as our permanent teeth and goes on till 14 years of age. At the age of 14 or 15, you will have your whole set of 32 permanent teeth.
The first teeth of the baby start to come at the age of 3 months and continue till 3 years of age. Normally it starts from 6 to 8 months but some babies can get it at 3 to 4 months also. 20 teeth form a milk teeth set. It takes at least one week for a tooth to come out in a baby. This one week the baby will be irritated a bit, so it’s very necessary to take more care at this time. In some babies the teething process can be different like some babies may get 2 teeth in one week. It all depends on the baby’s mechanism.
It’s very important to maintain hygiene at home and on baby products like toys, bottles, sippy cups, etc as the baby might put them in his mouth to chew due to the painful teething process. If proper hygiene is not maintained then the baby might get loose motions due to unhygienic conditions. Some babies ( only 10%) might not get any pain or they may not feel anything and the process goes on smoothly.
The oral hygiene of the baby should be maintained. You can use a small baby toothbrush with baby toothpaste and rub gently on the baby’s teeth or you can just rub with your clean finger with water if the baby has pain.
Signs of Teething:-
- Baby gums become swollen and red. When the gums become swollen and red it takes at least 4 to 5 days for the tooth to come out partially. The whole tooth will come out after 3 days.
- The baby will try to put things in his mouth for comfort.
- Too much saliva will be coming out from babies mouth.
- Baby wants to chew and he will keep whatever he gets in his mouth.
- The body temperature of the baby might be a little high like 99.5 due to the hard work the body is doing to take out those teeth.
- The baby might lose interest in eating or other activities.
- The baby might get up at night crying with pain.
- Due to the excess saliva which gives on in his stomach, the baby might get loose stools but if it lasts for more than one day inform you’re pediatrician.
Milk or Primary teeth contain a total of 20 teeth which are divided into 5 sets:-
- Central Incisor.
- Lateral Incisor.
- First Molar.
- Second Molar.
Every set has 4 teeth, two upper, and two lower teeth.
These are the first two upper and lower teeth that appear at the age of 6 to 10 months of age. In this process first, the two lower teeth come out then the two upper teeth come out. Since every baby is different some babies can get only one tooth at first and then the second and some babies develop two upper teeth first then the two lower teeth.
2. Lateral Incisor.
These teeth start from 10 to 16 months.
3. First Molar
These teeth come out at the age of 13 to 19 months. These teeth are a little big and it can be painful for the baby at this time.
These are sharp teeth and these teeth can also be difficult for the baby to come out. These come out at the age of 16 to 22 months.
5. Second Molar
These are the last teeth of the whole milk teeth set and it comes after 23 to 33 months (2 years of age) in the baby. This can also be very painful for the baby.
In some babies, all this process can be a little slow so don’t panic and talk to your doctor. Some babies might not get even their first tooth when they become 10 to 11 months old. This can be due to some deficiency in the body so please check with your doctor and get the treatment done.
Home Remedies for Teething:-
- If the baby gets motions you can give colic drops or gripe water in between 2 to 3 days to the baby.
- With a clean finger press baby gums gently. This will make him feel relaxed.
- Apply ice-cold water with a clean cloth on the baby’s gums.
- If the baby is older than 6 months you can give finger foods like cool carrots and cool cucumber took from the fridge.
- You can give some homothetic tablets like Calcarea phos.
- There are many teething toys available in the market, This may also help the baby to chew it to get some relief.
- You can also use a pacifier which is now available in the market with different colors and shapes. Your baby will love to suck and chew it.
- Nurse your baby when he is feeling uncomfortable.