Postpartum Depression After Child Birth
This is a change in the physical, emotional, psychological, social, and behavioral health of a woman after childbirth. It happens to most women and it’s necessary to take self-treatment or counseling as soon as possible. So many WOMEN don’t know about this and they think it’s their fault that they are not normal like before. Every person needs to know about this so that they can help their partner or their family members when they are in this situation.
What happens is that the levels of ESTROGEN and PROGESTERONE(female reproductive hormones) increase 10 times during pregnancy. After delivery, they drop back to their normal count. These sudden changes in hormones can affect the mental health of a mother during pregnancy and after pregnancy too.
Welcoming a baby into this world has many responsibilities and for a mother, it’s a tuff task during the initial days. She is the first one to bond with the baby. After a C-SECTION or normal VAGINAL delivery, the woman’s body undergoes many changes and she becomes weak. She also needs someone to help her. She is just like a newborn mother and has to be taken care of just like a newborn baby.
Symptoms of Postpartum Depression:-
These symptoms can vary from mild to very severe.
- Anger and Anxiety.
- Crying for no reason.
- Suicidal thoughts.
- Thoughts to harm others or herself.
- Getting angry at the baby.
- Frequent Mood changes.
- Trouble Sleeping.
- Change in Appetite.
- Feeling scared all the time.
Causes of Postpartum Depression:-
This can be different in different women.
- Change in hormone levels.
- Lack of sleep.
- The trouble with your self-image.
- Family history of depression.
- Young age at the time of pregnancy.
- Having a baby with health issues.
- No social support.
- Living alone.
- Having twins.
- More children
- Conflict with your Spouse or Family members.
Treatment of Postpartum Depression:-
Treatment depends on the type of symptoms the mother has and how severe they are. The woman is given anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication and psychotherapy and is made to participate in a support group. The drugs can be taken while breastfeeding too after consulting your doctor because there are special drugs for breastfeeding mothers so that the drug doesn’t harm your baby.
- Sleep when your baby sleeps.
- Have a healthy diet.
- Take help from your family members.
- Spend quality time with your spouse.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Avoid visitors in the initial days.
- Be in touch with your friends and family.
- Exercise a bit after consulting your doctor.
- Make yourself busy with some interesting activities.
- Enjoy the bonding of your baby.
Postpartum Depression has to be taken seriously by the mother and the family members and treat as soon as possible. In our society today very few people know about this and it’s our responsibility to educate them. Thatswhy people say it’s not easy to be a mother. A woman goes through all these hardships after every delivery and at the end of the day, she smiles again as if nothing happened to her. And that is why:-
PARADISE LIES UNDER THE FEET OF A MOTHER.