What to Expect?
It’s time for you to get a little rest as your baby is now on his correct schedule of sleeping, feeding, and playing. Babies at this age are more aware of their surroundings and are busy staring and understanding the things around them. Your baby will look like a cute panda at this age. Very soft, chubby, and shiny. Playing, staring, and making sounds. Enjoy his cute smiles and sounds and give a lot of cuddles, hugs, and kisses to your little one. He really deserves it. Your parenting will become a bit easier from now onwards. Some of the milestones which your baby will reach now are:-
1. Feeding schedule:- Your baby will be drinking 4 ounces of breastmilk or formula milk every 3 to 4 hours a day (24 hours). If you don’t produce enough breastmilk you can give a combo of breastmilk and formula milk after taking advice from your pediatrician. If you are not able to wake up at night to feed your baby, take the help of your partner or your family members. Pump your breastmilk in a feeding bottle and tell your partner to feed the baby when he wakes up.
2. Motor Skills:-
- Can keep his head straight on tummy time and while sitting.
- Can grab and shake his favorite toys and things.
- Supports his body with arms while lying on his stomach.
- Move hands and legs very freely.
- Puts their hands in his mouth.
- Kick you strong with his legs.
- Can sit upright with support.
3. Sleeping Patterns:- You will be happy to know that baby at this age will sleep at night for at least 6 to 7 hours at night. They sleep for 14 to 16 hours a day. When your baby wakes up at night don’t feed him immediately, wait for some time and see if the baby will fall back asleep. In the daytime, your baby will sleep for one to two hours at least 2 to 3 times in daytime. Don’t let your baby sleep on chair, stroller, or swings.
4. Communication and Vision:-
- Baby can follow your sound and moving objects.
- Smiles when you talk and play with him.
- Recognizes familiar faces and sounds.
- Babbles and make some other sounds.
- They love to see their reflection too.
- They move their eyes wherever you place their favorite toy.
- They love to play with toys that make sounds.
5. Weight and Height:- Your baby will increase 2 kgs in weight and 2 inches in height. It’s very important to check your baby’s weight every month. An increase in weight is a clear indication that your baby is growing healthy. Check here to know more about your baby’s height and weight chart from 0 to 2 years.
- Buy rattle and teething toys at this age for your baby and let her play with them.
- Take her for a walk every day in the morning to feel fresh.
- Give massage and some tummy time to your baby which is very helpful for easy digestion, relaxing her muscles, and preventing gas formation.
- Call your doctor if your baby is not gaining weight and not feeding properly.
- Keep her warm up to 6 months of age.
- Cover her fully when you take her outside with a soft towel, cap, and socks.
- Give vaccinations as per scheduled dates.
- Give bath to your baby one time in winters and two times in summers.
- Talk and play with your baby as much as you can.
- Let your baby spend some time with family members also till will make her socially active.
- Maintain hygiene in your baby’s room.
- Keep your baby in a mosquito net when he is asleep if your area is more prone to insects and mosquitoes.
- Every baby is different and develops milestones at different ages, so don’t worry if your baby doesn’t hit the milestones mentioned above.
- For the first few months, your baby is more prone to infections, colds, rashes, and fevers due to vaccinations or any other viruses. So try to comfort her and give her medicine on time. I know it’s very hard for a mother to see her baby in pain. But don’t worry, your baby will come out of this very soon.
- Whenever you go outside with your make sure you carry all the essential items of your little one like formula milk powder, feeding bottle, some toy, diapers, wipes, 2 pairs of clothes, caps, socks, and disposable covers.
- Check for the first signs of Teething.
My baby was very cute at this age. He used to lift his head when I placed him on his tummy. He used to sleep for 6 hours at night and wake up again and be awake till morning. He used to sit with some support with his head straight. He used to stare at me and my family members as if we have kidnapped him and brought him somewhere else. He smiles a lot when we sing a song to him.
From the third month onwards you will love to watch your baby doing more activities than before. Babies are very curious and always trying to find new things. They love people around them and love to play with different things mainly teething toys. They love to chew it as it’s soft and food for their gums.