All The Things You Need
Bathing your newborn baby is not an easy task. You have to take care of many things. But babies love bathing. It relaxes all their muscles and they feel fresh. It helps in the growth and development of your baby. It helps in cleaning all the bacteria, dirt, sweat, infections, allergies, and viruses present on the body. A warm bath cures all your body pains and aches and you feel fresh and happy. The same applies to kids and infants too. You may have noticed how babies sleep happily for long hours just after having a warm bath.
Nowadays bathtubs are available in the markets for your newborn baby. Traditionally people used a different method to bathe their babies. I also used the traditional method and didn’t use any bathtub till my baby turned 5 months old.
Do’s and Dont’s While Bathing Newborns:-
You have to make sure that you and your baby are safe while bathing.
- The water shouldn’t go inside your baby’s ears, nose, and mouth.
- The water shouldn’t be too hot or too cold. It should be warm.
- The bathtub or the stools on which you sit or use to bathe your baby should be made up of anti-slip material so that it doesn’t slip while bathing and hurt both you and your baby.
- Do not apply soap or shampoo directly to your baby’s body and head. First, take it in your hand and rub it with your palms. And then apply to your baby’s body and head.
- Clean your baby’s mouth and tongue with fingers.
- When you bathe your baby for the first time the thin layer of the skin will come out which acts as a protective layer when the baby was in the mother’s womb. So don’t get tensed if it’s coming out. Gently remove it without scrubbing it hard.
- Rub your baby’s body gently. Don’t scrub hard or use any scrubbers or other bath items for your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Massage your baby before every bath.
- Keep all the things ready needed for your baby after a bath like clothes, towels, diapers, etc.
Massaging your baby is very important before bath. This will help him in relaxing his muscles and helps in the good blood flow throughout the body. It also relieves constipation and helps in the overall development of the body. Massage should be done from head to toe. Don’t press your baby body too hard while massaging. Your baby should enjoy his massage and shouldn’t cry. You can use mustard oil, olive oil, castor oil, or coconut oil for massage. These all are natural products and help your baby in many ways. There are other baby massage oils available in the market but I prefer using natural products which have no chemicals in them.
Make sure you do massage on every part of the body like hands, legs, chest, stomach, face, and hips. Enjoy your time with your baby together and let your baby also enjoy all this process. Tell him a story, sing a song, talk to him, and do a lot of cuddles. Massage and bath time are the best times to bond with your baby.
Traditional Method Of Bathing:-
In the traditional method, the process is a bit different. In a bathroom, two small stools are kept near a bucket. One stool is a little higher than the other. The baby soap and shampoo are kept near the bucket. The mother or any other family member sits on the higher stools with legs kept straight on the second stool. She sits in such a position that the right side of the right hand of the mother is towards the bucket for easily taking out the water from the bucket with the help of a mug.
The baby is placed on the mother’s legs in such a position that the baby’s head is towards the mother’s face and the baby’s legs are towards the mother’s legs. First, the baby is placed on the back position where his head is between the mother’s thighs. The back part is slowly washed with soap and shampoo. The baby is placed in this position because the water doesn’t go inside the baby’s eyes, nose, or mouth. After the back is washed the baby is placed in the front position and washed again.
For washing head and face, the baby is placed in an upright position on the mother’s legs by catching his head with the mother’s hand. With the other hand, you can wash your baby’s face and head and rinse it slowly. While pouring water on the head make sure you cover your baby face with your hand by keeping it in a cap position.
While washing your baby’s face make sure you don’t rub it too hard. And make sure soap doesn’t go inside his eyes or nose. Your newborn baby will cry when you bathe him because this process is all new to him and he doesn’t understand anything and start crying. You shouldn’t worry about that but you should try your best to comfort your baby. Sing to him and let him enjoy in the water.
Prepare For a Bath:-
Before you plan to bathe your baby you have to keep everything ready so that you don’t search for things after bathing your baby. This can be harmful to your baby as your baby will be wet till you search for his things. So make everything ready and then go to the bathroom to give a bath to your baby. Here I will tell you what all you need to keep ready:-
- If you have a heater at home then turn it on or put some water on a gas stove and boil it till it’s hot or warm. Remember to add cool water to the hot water when you bathe your baby. Check the temperature of the water with your elbow or your fist. It should be warm, not hot.
- If you are using a bathtub then add warm water to it. Keep baby soap, baby towel, and baby shampoo near the bathtub or the bucket in the bathroom.
- In the dressing room keep your baby clothes, socks, head cap, powder, baby lotion, diapers, wipes, another towel, and a baby wrapper ready so that you quickly dry him and cloth him up before he catches a cold.
- Turn off the fan in the dressing room as your baby may feel cold. You can also turn on the heater if it is too cold outside though your fan is off.
- If your bathing your baby in the traditional method then you have to wear loose and comfortable clothing or a nighty so that it doesn’t get wet and it should be easy for you to pull it up till your thighs to bathe your baby.
- I didn’t use baby soaps or shampoo for my baby. When my baby was less than one month old, I used Himalaya baby products. But after using Himalaya baby soap my baby skin got dark so I stopped using it and used Mysore sandal soap that we use at home for a bath. After one month of using it, my baby got his white color back. I also used Himalaya baby massage oil but other people told me castor oil has many benefits for the skin so started to use it daily for massage.
1. Baby Bath Tub
- This is one of the best bathtubs you can buy for your little newborn baby.
- The most interesting thing about this bathtub is that it comes with a newborn chair on which you can place your baby and happily bath your baby without any tension.
- The chair is designed in such a way that your baby can be placed in a sleeping position on it. It is a bit inclined upwards so that the water level doesn’t touch your baby’s face and head. It has anti-slip edges which stick to the bathtub tightly when you place it in the bathtub.
- The water level mark is already given in the bathtub to let you know how much water you can fill in the tub. The water level mark is made in the shape of a water wave.
- If your baby is above 5 months you can use the bathtub without the chair because babies at this age love to sit and enjoy playing with the water.
- The chair of the bathtub is made up of plastic material and it is a little hard so babies will not be comfortable lying on it for the first few days. Since babies love to lie on soft blankets and beds I recommend you put some thick blankets on the chair before you place your baby on it.
- You can use the bathtub chair in any other bathtubs. It also has a handle for better grip.
- It is very lightweight, and easy to clean.
- This bathtub has a drain plug at the bottom of the bathtub that can drain water easily. It has a rubber cap that stops water from draining. You can remove the cap when you want to drain the water.
- It also has 2 soap cases where you can pace your baby soap or shampoo for easy bathing and it prevents soap from slipping.
- The bathtub can hold a weight capacity of up to 12 kgs and the bath chair can hold a weight capacity of up to 9 kgs.
- Your 5 month plus baby is going to enjoy his bath time when you fill the tub with water and put some bath toys in it.
2. Baby Bath Toys
- There is a total of 14 toys in this pack with aquatic and wild animals.
- They all are made up of BPA-free, lead-free, and phthalate plastic material and are 100% safe for babies.
- They make a lovely sound when your baby squeezes them.
- This pack contains animals like fish, rhino, duck, crocodile, hippopotamus, rabbit, horse, bear, penguin, hen, frog, cat, dog, and monkey.
- They have beautiful and very attractive colors for visual stimulation.
- They can easily float in the water and are made up of good quality material.
- They are very easy to clean and lasts long.
- Its size is perfect for your baby’s hand.
- It’s better to avoid your babies keeping these toys in their mouths or chew them because any type of plastic can be harmful to your baby’s health.
- I bought these toys for my baby when he was 5 months old and he really enjoyed playing with them during bath time and also at playtime.
3. Baby Shower Cap
- These shower caps are very useful when you give a head bath to your baby.
- They protect your baby’s eyes and ears from the soap solution entering in eyes and ears.
- Your baby can enjoy his head bath with this shower cap and there will be no more crying or getting irritated whenever you give him a head bath.
- It is made up of high-quality rubber.
- It has adjustable buttons with which you can adjust the shower cap according to your baby’s head size. It can easily fit babies from age 1 to 5.
- If your baby is OK without the shower cap while having a head bath then let him enjoy that.
- It comes in different vibrant colors and is worth buying if your baby feels uncomfortable while having a head bath.
4. Baby Bath Towels
- A bath towel is a must for every newborn baby.
- To dry him up after every bath is very necessary or he may catch a cold.
- So we have to choose baby towels that are soft and comfortable on your baby’s skin.
- These bath towels are perfect for your newborn.
- They are perfect for your baby’s sensitive skin.
- They have super absorption wipes that can quickly dry all the excess moisture.
- They can also be used for drooling, teething, baby shower, meal times, and picnics.
- They are made up of 100% microfibre fabric.
- You can wash it in a machine.
- They don’t have any dyes or chemicals on them which can be harmful to your baby’s sensitive skin.
- You can also buy one towel or two, three, and four depending on your budget.
- Its size is perfect for your newborn.
- You can also use this bath towel as a wrapper t wrap your baby when you go outside or to make him feel warm and cozy.
- It also looks very attractive as it has a hooded head that looks like a rabbit.
- Its color is attractive and vibrant light pink.
- It is long enough and can be used for a one-year-old baby too.
- You can use it as a blanket too.
- If you are not satisfied with this bath towel you can check another bath towel here.
5. Himalaya Baby Massage Oil.
- Daily body massage of your baby is very necessary for overall body development.
- So it’s very important to choose a product that is chemical-free and light on your baby’s skin as your going to use it every day.
- The Himalaya baby massage oil is very good for your baby’s skin during massage. It doesn’t have any harmful chemicals and is clinically tested.
- It contains some special ingredients like olive oil and aloe vera extracts.
- It is free from mineral oil and animal fat which are responsible for allergies and rashes in babies.
- According to me it’s always best to use natural products for your infants like coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, and mustard oil which are totally natural and don’t have any chemicals in them.
- When you buy these oils in the market make sure you buy only natural oils which are extracted directly from the seeds.
7. Baby Massage Mat
- When you massage your baby you will definitely need a mat or a blanket so that the oil doesn’t stick onto the floor or your bed.
- If you use a blanket for massaging then the blanket is going to become oil though you wash it over and over again.
- After some days it will become sticky and the oil smell won’t go away from it and sometimes ants may also stick to the blanket due to its smell.
- Thatswhy it’s necessary to buy massage mats that can be easily washed and reused again.
- These mats are waterproof and can easily absorb water, and other liquids.
- They can be sterilized up to 90 degrees Celcius.
- They can be machine washed too.
- They dry faster after every wash.
- This mat is suitable for a 0 to 18-month-old baby.
- There are many different colors and sizes available so choose the right one for your baby.
- You can also use it as a waterproof sheet for your baby at night who pee without diapers.
8. Baby Powder
- Himalaya baby powder is best for your newborn baby. Himalaya is a well-known brand and its products are safe on baby-sensitive skin.
- You can ask your pediatrician which baby products to use for your baby. They will check your baby’s skin and suggest products that suit your baby’s skin.
- For one month I used Himalaya baby powder, after that I used Ponds powder. Since ponds is not a baby powder I thought it won’t suit my baby skin. But it suited well and my baby didn’t have any allergies to the skin. When my baby turned 9 months old I used a shower to shower powder in summers as my baby’s skin got rashes due to excess heat outside.
- The shower to shower powder worked well on my baby’s skin and it prevents rashes due to heat and cools your baby’s skin.
- We think that babies should use only baby products but that’s not true some adult products are safe on baby’s skin. But before using any adult product ask your elders and doctors and do a bit of research on it.
9. Baby Powder Storage Puff
- You are definitely going to need this to apply powder to your baby’s body.
- It is unhygienic to apply powder to your baby with your hand. You have to use a puff or a soft cloth to apply on the whole body and face.
- Powder puffs are being used for ages by many parents for their little one.
- This puff is made up of quality material with no toxic chemicals.
- The puff is made up of fine cotton fibers which feel like soft cotton on the skin.
- Its softness doesn’t cause any irritation or discomfort to your baby.
- The puff contains a special chamber for filling baby powder. Just open the cap of the puff and fill powder and it and the powder will come automatically out of the cotton fibers when it touches the baby’s skin.
- It comes in a set of 2 storage puffs. One is blue and the other is pink in color.
10. Baby Soap
- You might be shocked to know that you can use Mysore sandal soap for your baby’s sensitive skin. But the answer is yes, I used it for my baby. For the first 40 days of my baby’s birth, I used Himalaya baby soap. But my Baby became dark in color after using it so my elders suggested me to use Mysore sandal soap which we use for bath. My baby is 2 years old now and I still use Mysore sandal soap for his body, face, and hair.
- So after 40 days, I started using sandal soap for both the body, face, and hair. And there were no allergies or rashes on my baby’s skin and he got his white color back.
- We use it for baths every day and we trust this brand blindly as we are using it for years.
- These soaps are imported from the US. But they are made in INDIA.
- This pack contains a total of 10 soaps at a minimum cost.
- It is a 100% vegetarian product and is cruelty-free.